Mother Teresa of Calcutta Catholic School is part of the Catholic School System of the Diocese of St. Petersburg and is under the direct governance of the Superintendent of the Office of Catholic Schools. Inspired by Mother Teresa of Calcutta and rooted in the Catholic faith, our mission is to develop young people who strive for academic excellence, recognize the dignity of each individual and foster service to others. By challenging our students to reach their full God-given potential, MTC helps every child develop a spirit of love, service and respect. Our school community provides a nurturing environment where teachers care about each student’s development.
In 1952, the Most Holy Redeemer mission became a parish with set boundaries. A year later, construction was begun on an eight classroom school and a convent to house the Sisters of St. Joseph from St. Augustine, Florida. Most Holy Redeemer School, located in northeast Hillsborough County, opened its doors on September 7, 1954, with 9 classrooms (K-8). The enrollment was approximately 200 students in the nine classrooms. The school began to experience constant growth, so four additional classrooms were built in 1958. In 1961, at the request of the Diocesan Department of Education, a ninth grade was added until Central Catholic High School (later named Tampa Catholic High School) was ready for operation. In 1965, a new wing was built which included 6 classrooms and an administration complex with a library and clinic. In 1974, Most Holy Redeemer became an area school, including the parishes of St. Paul, St. Mary, and Our Lady of the Rosary. In 1980, the school name was changed to Most Holy Redeemer Inter-Parochial School. In 1983, the Sisters of the Third Franciscan Order of Syracuse, New York joined the faculty. St. Timothy parish became a participating member of the inter-parochial school system in 1985. The sisters resigned from the faculty in 1989, and the school staffing was turned over to a lay administration and faculty.
In April 2012, Most Holy Redeemer was named one of several schools in a new diocesan school system model. In July 2014, Most Holy Redeemer Catholic School became Mother Teresa of Calcutta Catholic School under the direction of the Diocese of St. Petersburg. In June 2015, the school relocated to its present location in Lutz.
Mother Teresa of Calcutta Catholic School is fully accredited by the Florida Conference of Catholic Bishops. Every five years, Catholic elementary and middle schools in the Diocese of St. Petersburg are re-accredited to ensure they are providing the best environment possible for academic growth and faith development. The accreditation program provides a school improvement process through the application of educational standards or criteria.
Inspired by Mother Teresa of Calcutta and rooted in the Catholic faith, our mission is to develop young people who strive for academic excellence, respect the dignity of each individual and foster service to others.
Mother Teresa of Calcutta Catholic School is committed to continuing our tradition of academic excellence by providing a rigorous curriculum in a nurturing Christ-centered environment. Guided by the example of Jesus and our patroness, Mother Teresa, we strive to develop a dedication of service to others and a devotion to the Catholic faith. We seek to instill self-discipline and promote the growth of the whole child-body, mind, and soul. By developing critical thinking and problem solving skills, we prepare our students for life-long learning.
School Colors and Mascot
- Colors: blue and white
- Team Name: The Crusaders
- Mascot: Crusader
- National Catholic Education Association (NCEA)
- Florida Catholic Conference