MTC provides support for children with mild disabilities. Student Support Plans are written for formally identified children needing accommodations in the classroom and for standardized TerraNova testing. A new support plan is written every academic year or as needed. MTC does not provide a pull-out program, modifications to the curriculum or employ special education teachers.
The following accommodations can be provided based on psychoeducational documentation and/or medical reports. All children are expected to follow the MTC Code of Conduct.
Physical Arrangement of Room
- Seating student near teacher
- Seating student near positive role model
- Standing near the student when giving directions/presenting lesson
- Increasing the distance between desks
- Writing key points and homework on the board
- Using computer assisted instruction
- Extra time to complete in class assignments
- 1.5 extended time to complete in class graded assignments
- Reducing homework without changing learning outcomes
- Not grading handwriting unless handwriting is being evaluated
- Not grading spelling/language mechanics unless spelling/language mechanics are being evaluated
- Decrease Vocabulary Workshop enrichment words by 50%
- Decrease AR requirements by 50%
- Extended 1.5 time for exams, tests, and quizzes
- Extended 1.5 time for TerraNova assessment
- Encouraging student to write in planner.
- Teacher sign planner
- Provide extra time to clean out locker/cubby/desk
- Praising specific behaviors
- Keeping classroom rules simple and clear
- Cueing student to stay on task by lightly tapping desk or textbook